Burano, whose name, according to the chronicles, was derived from the port of Altino, the port of Bòrea.
The people who lived in the city of Altino near the north facing port settled on the island and the tribuno Aurio gave the name of Vicum Buranium to the island of Burano.
In the Piazza Galuppi the lace Museum is housed in the old lace school. The Podestà Building of gothic construction, with two Gothic coats of arms is now the town council.
Opposite is the Church of St. Martin, containing the Fontebasso tapestries from 1732 and the "Crucifixion" work of G.B. Tiepolo.
The work of the great Buranello sculptor Remigio Barbaro can be seen all over the island, of particular interest is a monument devoted to the great Buranello Baldassare Galuppi born in Burano in 1706, a famous composer, also the author of theatrical works, oratories, sacred music, concerts and various sonatas for the harpsichord. He also wrote various books for Carlo Goldoni.
In the center of the Galuppi Piazza we can see an ancient step in Istrian stone (XVIII century), on the yard of which once flew the flag "Gonfalone of St. Mark", representing the two protecting Saints of the Island St. Martin and St.Albano.
Next to the flag pole is an original well from 1588, still flowing with fresh water.
Other characteristics of Burano are the colours of the houses that pass from the more delicate pastel to vivacious pink, used by the house owner to demarcate ownership.
All of this makes for an enchanting and cheerful landscape.